We’re no strangers to the frequent Google changes: guidelines, algorithms, updates . . . is your head spinning yet? So we were pleasantly surprised to find out that this latest roll out by Google will actually make life easier for business owners. Overall, it’s an awesome integration that pulls many of the Google platforms you were already using (and might not have even known it) all together into one dashboard.
So let me break it down for you.
Here’s What You’ll Love
1. Simply put, Google My Business is a round-up of already-existing Google tools for businesses, making it easier for business owners to update multiple listings all in one place. Users will only need to enter their information one time – that information will populate into all of Google’s services. You can now access Google+, Insights, Reviews, Analytics and Hangouts all from one screen!
2. The front end of Google+ and Google Maps pages has not changed at all.
3. There are no changes to Google’s algorithm, so this update should not affect how you do local SEO.
4. The new interface is excellent – intuitive and easy to use.
5. A Google My Business Android app already exists, and an iOS app will be released in the next few weeks. Sweet!
6. It’s FREE . . . so far, at least.
Here’s The One Thing You Won’t Love
1. Name confusion still exists. (Big sigh.) You can continue calling your public local listing on Google whatever you prefer. The available choices are: Google+ Local Listing, Google Places Listing, Google Place Page, Plus Local Listing, Plus Local Page, Google+ Local Page.
Here’s What Should You Do Now
- Log in to your account and check it out. As soon as you do, you’ll be guided through a tour of the new updates and instructions on how to interact with the platform
- Check out the official Google announcement here.
- Carry on with business as usual, and hopefully find your business life just a bit easier!