It’s Monday, you are sitting in the weekly staff meeting, and your boss informs you that a photographer is coming to your office to take headshots for the company website next week. No need to panic, I am here to give you a few tips.
What is a business portrait or headshot?
A head and shoulders photo that helps you connect with your clients via your website, social media, business card, etc.
Why do I need a business portrait or headshot?
Your appearance is your first step in making a great first impression. A powerful portrait gives clients a glimpse of your personality and the tone of your business. Is your company new and whimsical? Maybe try a less traditional setting like a park/playground. Are you an executive or CEO? Try having your portrait taken in an office setting overlooking the city. Have several staff members and want your portraits to be uniform? Try using a studio setting with the same backdrop and lighting.
What do I wear on picture day?
1. Men: suit jacket, dress shirt, sweater, polo
2. Women: blouse, tailored jacket, dress
3. Long sleeves look more professional than short sleeves, but make sure you avoid clothing that wrinkles or bunches up making you look sloppy.
4. Wear something comfortable that you feel great in. If you are uncomfortable, it will show in your photos.
5. Avoid busy patterns that may be distracting. Solid, jewel tones are the most flattering. Bring a couple of color/style options.
6. Women: Less is usually more when accessorizing with jewelry.
7. Control frizzy or unmanageable hair with a finishing spray.
8. Women: Do not wear more makeup than you normally wear.